#Trauma-#Informed #DeEscalation #Angry and #Aggressive #Teens: From Wogan #Training / #Professional #Development:
– Safety1: Don’t block a kid’s path or put your arm out to stop a student from leaving a classroom. No “hip checks.”
– Safety2: Kid’s escalate quickly, go the opposite direction – slow things down, time is your friend for proximity, distance & safe space.
– Safety3: pause for the call, don’t be alone.
– Safety4: Avoid command language such as “You need to… I need you to…” vs. – “It’s time to… + Ask Questions; engage the frontal lobes. “What happened? Are you ready to…?
– Safety5: Rehearse Comprehensive School Safety Plans, Know your role and what you’ll do ahead of time, so you can #respond vs. #react.
Trauma Informed Practices Through the Lens of Equity. Professional Development Training Conference Workshop led at the Equity Cultural Competence Summit in Vallejo, CA.