James Wogan is an experienced supervisor with a background in both clinical psychology (LMFT) and clinical social work (LCSW). James brings the best of both worlds to supervision. James is a passionate and highly successful child and family therapist and school administrator. He has a great deal of experience working in schools, in-patient psychiatric hospitals, rehabilitation / addictions programs, community mental health clinics, and in private practice office settings. James is uniquely qualified to supervise MFTi and ASCW toward licensure as LMFT or LCSW in California. James has experience as a field work placement supervisor with the UC Berkeley, CSU East Bay, and San Francisco State University. Supervisees will receive support and grow and learn as professionals.
Areas covered by clinical supervision:
- Child and family therapy – for children, teenagers, and families from diverse backgrounds.
- Cultural proficiency, cultural humility, cultural competence.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Family dynamics – improving parent / child relationships.
- Structural family therapy – Salvadór Minúchin
- Parenting – raising healthy children.
- Motivational Interviewing
- Intake and evaluation
- Differential Diagnoses / DSM 5
- Evaluation and referral to Bay Area resources.
- Treatment Planning
- Laws and ethics
- Transference and counter-transference
- Professional development / trainings
- Trauma-informed practices
- Self care / secondary trauma
- Boundaries and use of self in therapeutic relationships
- Case management – care coordination
- Current techniques to treat anxiety and PTSD.
- Professional goals, coaching, and guidance
Education / School Social Work / School-based Behavioral Health
- School-based behavioral health services
- School Wellness Centers
- Parent engagement through the lens of equity
- Response to Intervention (RtI)
- Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS) / School Climate
- Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS)
- IEP / Section 504: serving youth with special needs
- Coordinated Care Teams – Delivery of student support services.
- Foster Youth
- Homeless Students
- Psychiatric emergencies
- Suicide risk assessment and prevention
- Career advancement
Supervision is available in person in the evenings and on Saturdays. Online clinical supervision is available by Skype or FaceTime by appointment. Please go to BBS for information regarding licensure in California as LMFT or LCSW.
Published by James Wogan MFT LCSW
James Wogan, MFT, LCSW, is a child and family therapist in Rockridge Oakland, CA. James brings a unique combination of experience, knowledge and skills into his private practice counseling office. James also teaches, leads trainings / professional development, and works for equity and community health as a school administrator in public education. James developed and administered highly successful and state-recognized programs such as School-based Wellness Centers, Foster Youth Services, the Homeless Outreach Program for Education (HOPE), Interagency Collaboration / Integrated Care, Expulsion Diversion / District Positive Behavior Team, and Youth Employment Services (WIOA YES) to strengthen workforce readiness for people beginning rewarding careers after high school. James wrote the framework and has trained hundreds of staff members in trauma informed practice through the lens of equity and School Coordinated Care Teams, the Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) used for the delivery of support services in school settings. James lived in Tokyo, Japan where he was a child and family therapist serving students who attended international schools. James’ career in family therapy, social work and public education has included program development, publications and workshops on adolescent mental health, suicide prevention, parenting, expatriate family dynamics, interagency collaboration, LGBTQ youth, Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE), and trauma-informed practices.
James brings stakeholders from diverse backgrounds to the table and engages openly in conversations about race and privilege. His work has earned recognition from the United States Congress, California Senate and Assembly, and awards from the PTA Association of California, and NASW Northern California for developing outstanding internship / field placement training for BSW and MSW candidates at San Francisco State University, San Jose State University, CSU East Bay, and UC Berkeley. James is an active advocate for equity and inclusion, bringing youth, parent, and caregiver voice to local and state government.
James graduated from UC Berkeley (MSW) and Guilford College in North Carolina (B.S. with honors). He also studied at CSU-East Bay, the California School of Professional Psychology, San Francisco State University, and the University of North Carolina (UNC Chapel Hill and UNC Greensboro). James provides clinical supervision for candidates pursuing licensure as LCSW or LMFT. He enjoys time with his amazing wife and two boys in the Bay Area, CA.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org i-mobile: 925.250.5500 Twitter: @jameswogan
LinkedIn: jameswogan FlipBoard® Magazines: Child and Adolescent Mental Health, Suicide Prevention, Interagency Collaboration, Foster Youth Education
View all posts by James Wogan MFT LCSW