James Wogan is an experienced supervisor with a background in both clinical psychology (LMFT) and clinical social work (LCSW). James brings the best of both worlds to supervision. James is a passionate and highly successful child and family therapist and school administrator. He has a great deal of experience working in schools, in-patient psychiatric hospitals, rehabilitation / addictions programs, community mental health clinics, and in private practice office settings. James is uniquely qualified to supervise MFTi and ASCW toward licensure as LMFT or LCSW in California. James has experience as a field work placement supervisor with the UC Berkeley, CSU East Bay, and San Francisco State University. Supervisees will receive support and grow and learn as professionals.
Areas covered by clinical supervision:
- Child and family therapy – for children, teenagers, and families from diverse backgrounds.
- Cultural proficiency, cultural humility, cultural competence.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Family dynamics – improving parent / child relationships.
- Structural family therapy – Salvadór Minúchin
- Parenting – raising healthy children.
- Motivational Interviewing
- Intake and evaluation
- Differential Diagnoses / DSM 5
- Evaluation and referral to Bay Area resources.
- Treatment Planning
- Laws and ethics
- Transference and counter-transference
- Professional development / trainings
- Trauma-informed practices
- Self care / secondary trauma
- Boundaries and use of self in therapeutic relationships
- Case management – care coordination
- Current techniques to treat anxiety and PTSD.
- Professional goals, coaching, and guidance
Education / School Social Work / School-based Behavioral Health
- School-based behavioral health services
- School Wellness Centers
- Parent engagement through the lens of equity
- Response to Intervention (RtI)
- Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS) / School Climate
- Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS)
- IEP / Section 504: serving youth with special needs
- Coordinated Care Teams – Delivery of student support services.
- Foster Youth
- Homeless Students
- Psychiatric emergencies
- Suicide risk assessment and prevention
- Career advancement
Supervisee Minimum Requirements:
- MSW or Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology or Counseling
- Registered ASCW or MFTi with BBS
- Supervisee completes documentation and ensures compliance with BBS regulations
- Liability insurance
- Positive “growth mindset”
- Dedication to equity and access to behavioral health services
- Commitment to regular supervision
- NASW, CAASSW, CAMFT membership (recommended)
Supervision is available in person in the evenings and on Saturdays. Online clinical supervision is available by Skype or FaceTime by appointment. Please go to www.bbs.ca.gov for information regarding licensure in California as LMFT or LCSW.
James brings the perspective and experience as both a child and family therapist (LMFT) and Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) to clinical Supervision.
You must be logged in to post a comment.