1. Have a resolution, intention or goal for the year.
2. Paint in one eye.
3. Place the Daruma somewhere special in your home or office.
4. When your dream is achieved, paint in the other eye.
5. At the end of the year, reflect on your goals with compassion for yourself and others.
6. Achieved or not, bring the Daruma to the fire on New Year’s Eve.
7. Join with others in your community as Daruma burn together in the fire.
8. Support others to achieve their goals, and ask for support to achieve yours.
It furthers one to have destinations in mind. Establish new dreams and goals each year. Some dreams you share with others, some you may decide to keep for yourself, sharing only after you have accomplished your goals.
When I lived in Japan 🇯🇵 I had the good fortune to join a new year’s celebration in Fujinomiya, at the foot of Mt. Fuji. It was there that I learned about Daruma.